Printer Friendly
2 Pages
1 2 »
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gulwings
Former BI Member

Canada
1139 Posts

Posted - October 12 2012 :  10:40:40  Show Profile Send Gulwings a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have recently contacted the Royal Canadian Mint.

Below you will find my initial correspondance and also a pic of the coins I reference, for the benefit of our American members who may not have seen the coins I reference.
I will report back once I receive notification of receipt of my request and then we can bombard them with emails of support for the project. My thoughts are that if this goes through; there won't be anymore DeLorean questions at Canadian car shows and our babies might be more demanded by more people... hehehe... read on...

"Ms. Kate Holmes;

Good day!

I am the Son of a late Graphic Designer who was honoured to have his designs chosen for 2 Canadian silver dollars in our past. These two designs were for the 1975 Calgary Centennial and the Arctic Territories 1980 dollars respectively. My Father, Donald Paterson, passed away in 2005 and when asked of his most proud moments in design; he undoubtedly recanted his experiences with the mint, the coins and the people he met. He was honoured to say the least.
I currently own in excess of 1000 of each of these two coins... my highest valued 'treasures'.

My Father was (among many things) an automobile lover throughout his lifetime. He owned at one point; a 1975 Bricklin. The Bricklin was entirely manufactured in New Brunswick, Canada, which the mint is more than familiar with as you struck a $20 coin in 2003. Currently there are less than 1300 of these cars still in existence world-wide. The passions still remain in New Brunswick for this part of our National automotive history and "their" car.

2014 represents the 40th Anniversary of the Bricklin in Canada as 1974 was the first year of manufacture. I have contacted the Saint John Chamber of Commerce suggesting a mass pilgrimage of Bricklins to return to the city of their birth in 2014. My inquiry has met with huge positive response and it is currently being discussed for the August long weekend, in conjunction with their Provincial day of celebration. We have been told to expect National coverage by the media.

My "idea" for the mint; 40th Anniversary coins. Which coins? 25 cent coins, coloured coins, like the Veteran's quarter, the Cancer Society quarter and others.
The Bricklin was only manufactured in 5 colours and the cars were not painted. This was part of the leading-edge technology incorporated in this car. The bodies are acrylic (like a bath tub or shower pan) and the colour is impregnated into the acrylic. The 5 colours are white, red, orange, green and suntan (ochre). IF the mint was to have one design and then colour it 5 different ways; there's a set of 5. Face value would be $1.25 but retail value of sealed coins could easily be 10 to 20 times that. I personally would order $5,000 worth immediately... and then there's the circulation coins as well.

You see, my Father's influence on me has "forced" me to own a Bricklin as well. The Mint has commemorated this car in the past I know but this milestone is a good opportunity to diversify from larger denominations and "put a Bricklin in the hands of every Canadian" by circulating the coins. It is a great opportunity to wave our flag with pride as well as bring attention to New Brunswick.

I will leave this with you for your thoughts and consideration. IF you feel that the concept has merit in any way; I can send you information as well as connect you with "Bricklin people" all over the world for anything the mint might need to evaluate this further.

Thanks for reading and I hope I might hear from you soon.

Best Regards!

Mike Paterson
Stouffville, ON"

... and the pic of the coins mentioned...

Mike P

Gulwings
Former BI Member

Canada
1139 Posts

Posted - November 21 2012 :  10:17:21  Show Profile Send Gulwings a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... well, it seems the wheels of bureaucracy still turn in Canada... I wish I could say the same about the right rear on 2882... anyhow... I have received a response from the Royal Canadian Mint and it is below, in it's entirety.
I pass this to you club members to direct me (or approach it as the Club Exec.) as to our future desires... I did what I could but am still here for our use to move along if "we" decide to... your thoughts are welcome and appreciated... and the email is:

"Dear Mr. Paterson,

Thank you very much for this lovely letter. It is wonderful and an honour to hear that your father had such wonderful memories of his experiences with the Mint.

Thank you too for your suggestion that the Mint produce commemorative coins in 2014 for the 40th anniversary of the Bricklin. As you mentioned in your letter, the Mint did produce a $20 coin in 2003 featuring the Bricklin SV-1. As much as we appreciate your idea to create coloured coins using the same colours in which the Bricklin was manufactured, we simply do not think producing another Bricklin coin at this point in time would be feasible, so soon after the 2003 coin. As a for-profit Crown Corporation the Mint has to consider the emotional appeal and overall commercial success potential of all its products.

In addition, the Mint tends to recognize significant anniversaries such at the 50th, 100th, 150th as they receive the most favourable response and support, a key consideration as all final decisions for product approvals reside with the Government of Canada .

We do recognize, however, the importance of a 40th anniversary. For this reason, we would like to suggest that should you be interested in creating a custom token or medallion as part of this commemoration in 2014, that you contact Robert Alain, Sales Manager Canada. He will be able to discuss with you the feasibility of creating such a token or medallion and will be able to answer any questions you may have such as cost, design, and time-lines. He can be reached at (613) 998-6672 or Alain@Mint.ca.

I wish you the best of luck as you continue to pursue your passion for the Bricklin. No doubt your father would be proud that his love of cars is alive and well, thanks to his son.

Sincerely,

Frances Baltzan
Communications Coordinator/Coordonnatrice des communications
Marketing & Communications
320, promenade Sussex Drive
Ottawa, ON K1A 0G8
Tel: 613 949 9066
baltzan@mint.ca/baltzan@monnaie.ca"

Mike P

Go to Top of Page

brick75
Former BI Member

Canada
1843 Posts

Posted - November 21 2012 :  13:01:08  Show Profile Send brick75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Mike, great effort and a very courteous "no" from the Mint. My thoughts are that the "token" is really only a Bricklania type thing attractive to B owners.

The Feds here in Canada as everyone knows did not partner at all with Malcolm, it was Hatfield and the NB Prov government.

So we have the Mint and Canada Post with a coin and stamp...not bad!

Our membership #s won't move them, the only next step I see is a phone call to the Chief of Staff of the current Minister in Parliament responsible for the Mint.

On the flip side, maybe something from the US Mint?

Marty
Go to Top of Page

brick75
Former BI Member

Canada
1843 Posts

Posted - November 21 2012 :  16:27:36  Show Profile Send brick75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Mike P, post add on...current Master of the Mint is Ian Bennett...that would be a good call...the Minister of Finance (Flaherty) would be impossible to get focussed on this.

Marty
Go to Top of Page

Gulwings
Former BI Member

Canada
1139 Posts

Posted - March 20 2013 :  18:35:45  Show Profile Send Gulwings a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... I finally (finally) got a response from the RCM regarding coins for the 40th... "thanks but no thanks, call us when it's 50"... oh well... we tried...

I have had however, a great response from the Province of NB for a 40th celebration in Saint John, NB on the August long weekend 2014... I will work on that a bit and get back to y'all.

When all is said and done; members might have a choice between a joint meet with the DeLorean folks in 2014 or a trip to Saint John, or both... it's all good...

Mike P

Go to Top of Page

brick75
Former BI Member

Canada
1843 Posts

Posted - March 20 2013 :  19:52:15  Show Profile Send brick75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That is because the Feds didn't jump in when Hatfield did at the Provincial level.

Two other avenues for emails Mike, NB Premier's office, write for support to ask Federal Government to support, that of course is the Minister of Finance.

And write local MP's office + a letter to Minister of Finance.

Can't hurt. One email pasted 3 ways.

Marty
Go to Top of Page

Gulwings
Former BI Member

Canada
1139 Posts

Posted - March 24 2013 :  09:31:33  Show Profile Send Gulwings a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... so the idea of a pilgrimage to Saint John in 2014 has been proposed here in the past.

I am fully aware that the club is joining the DMC club for a joint-winged meet on Father's Day in 2014...
New Brunswick has a provincial holiday on the monday of the first weekend in August and each year they "promote" one city in the province, to exude the virtues, accomplishments, attractions and history. That day would be August 4th, 2014.

As it wouldn't conflict with the joint meet; I am curious how many members in the "east" would venture to Saint John with a Bricklin, to participate in their celebration, if Saint John was chosen as the city for that year?
To say the least; they are very interested, would give us the boardwalk with security and the convention centre as well if numbers required it; to park and show our cars. The following there is huge so the turnout could be amazing...
I have had some email discussions (very loose and inquisitive only) with the Chamber of Commerce for Saint John and Tourism NB... they are excited by the prospect, want to proceed and are looking for an idea of how much support we could give them (ie: numbers), so they can plan and propose something internally with all the associated agencies.

Just curious if you would attend?

Mike P

Go to Top of Page

Vin2889
BI Member

BI Chairman

USA
99 Posts

Posted - March 25 2013 :  08:07:14  Show Profile Send Vin2889 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mike,

For me it's too soon to tell. Always wanted to go see St. John, but for me two long weeks off next year would be tough to pull off so close together.

Steve

VIN's #1339 & #2889
Go to Top of Page

Rick_R
Former BI Member

Canada
1703 Posts

Posted - March 26 2013 :  14:32:13  Show Profile Send Rick_R a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i think I am up for it, I have "relatives" on Cape Breton so I could make it a double duty deal. but it all depends on lots of factors between now and then.

your mileage may vary, parental guidance is advised, call before you dig, consult your
doctor, action figures sold separately, see a qualified tax professional, mind the gap, may contain peanuts, no user serviceable parts inside, offer void in Nebraska, batteries not included
Go to Top of Page

steve1189
Former BI Member

Canada
218 Posts

Posted - March 26 2013 :  19:15:29  Show Profile Send steve1189 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea Mikie, would like to say definite yes but long way off. Who knows, between unforeseen health issues and the fact that the old girl is getting older (the car!.....yes the brides getting older too but she doesn't really find the brick all that comfortable to travel in anyway).
Haven't been down east since the mid 70's for a visit to PEI (God's country!) and to visit one of my brothers who was living in Saint John at the time. One thing for sure, those Maritimers really know how to welcome visitors!
I guess that makes it a tentative yes.

steve1189
Go to Top of Page

Gulwings
Former BI Member

Canada
1139 Posts

Posted - March 26 2013 :  20:18:09  Show Profile Send Gulwings a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... totally understand the prospect is a long way off... 15 months... lots happens in 15 months in everyone's camp... not a problem, I was in no way looking for confirmed attendance; more I was looking for interest, or not.

I figure if we can get 15 or 20 cars from the east; we're gonna have the city opened up for us. These folks have HUGE love for this car, the history, the stories... In no way am I looking to "offer an alternative" to the club meet... not my purpose or intent in any way.

I was looking for "interest" and then we can all discuss whether that interest takes shape or not.

I have an idea; Rick R should haul all our cars (from this neck of the woods) down there on a big multi-level float trailer... ... I'm sure we could convince him over the next 15 months to help a senior or few... hehehe... ... it's not like he doesn't know the way... ... it's gonna take me some convincing though... leave that part with me... ... it's probably not gonna go well...

Mike P

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
2 Pages
1 2 »
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Bookmark this post Bookmark This Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Bricklin International Forums © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05