Bricklin International Forums
Bricklin International Forums
Classifieds FAQ Guestbook Links Member VINs Register
 All Forums
 Bricklin General Discussions
 Events & Owners Seeking Owners
 Saint John 40th, "Back to the Nest"

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Metacafe videomySpace videoQuicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GreenTrash Posted - November 19 2013 : 08:03:48
I just read about the Bricklin Nationals next year as part of the Delorean meet. The website certainly does not seem that special considering next year is the 40th Anniversary, in fact its as if the Bricklins won't even be there. I would like to point out that many of the former Bricklin workers are getting on in years and it is very unlikely that they will be around for the 50th to celebrate in Saint John. Many of the former plant workers in both Saint John and Minto would show up for a special event next summer. From my recent experience in New Brunswick I get a sense that New Brunswickers would be very gracious and thrilled to share in a special celebration. Certainly the tourism office for both Saint John and New Brunswick would promote such an event, (free publicity) The New Brunswick Museum is doing a very good job of navigating the paperwork nightmare to ensure the Gray Ghost gets to safety and to make an appearance for the 40th. I keep on hearing in various posts about how you can intrigue a next generation, how you can get the word out about your special cars. Yet the one event that can generate a great amount of publicity seems to be going by the wayside. Both Chris LeBlanc and myself will gladly let our films be a part of it. It would be greatly appreciated if any of you can shed some light on this matter.
Regards, Andrew
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rick_R Posted - June 11 2014 : 14:56:34
IF there is an issue with the museum let me know, locally there is the canadian transportation museum and I am sure they would issue the appropriate tax receipt and make room the grey ghost www.ctmhv.com
brick75 Posted - June 10 2014 : 17:40:21

Just my 2 cents, we here in Ontario put a fair bit of thought and effort into Saint John NB but with shipping costs in the thousands, we need local business support, it would have been a revenue maker for the city but there was no support.

I applaude Andrew for his film and especially for the effort on the Grey Ghost.

I also applaude Jim W for organizing Dayton, I for one would be there but I had previously booked travel plans.

We are a small Club and need to work together.

Marty
GreenTrash Posted - June 10 2014 : 16:02:45
Chopstick
I totally agree with your take on the Saint John people thus far but there is one crucial part that all practical thinking people must admit to. Without official sanctioning, participation and support by the one and only Bricklin club to celebrate the 40th Anniversary it was going to be difficult and expensive for those wishing to celebrate. The New Brunswick Museum has been another frustrating experience and would have been a whole lot easier if the club or a key member took possession of the Gray Ghost to assure its safety. Realistically, when I found the car I knew I had to do my part to assure its safety, it didn't mean that the whole burden was mine. I still have to keep faith with the museum as they have indicated this will happen soon. At this point though, I would not have any animosity towards the owner of the Ghost if he disposed of it to get his wife off his back. Most of you surely could empathize with his situation. To clarify on the love/hate thing you mention, I have always loved and still love the SV-1, I'm just not a fan of the man (I haven't thought or mentioned that for a year).
Cheers, Andrew
Gulwings Posted - June 10 2014 : 12:27:27
... just my 2 cents here...

Why should a 40th Anniversary of a notable time in NB history be driven and funded from Ontario?
Why should Ontario owners of Bricklins spend thousands of dollars to transport their cars to NB for a 'party' enjoyed by Saint John and yet; not sanctioned beyond a parking spot on the boardwalk to encourage visitors and revenue for local businesses that aren't "actually" 'participating' beyond selling what they normally do?
I spent (as did quite a few others) a lot of time to try to attract the attention of the Saint John Tourism group in order to make this something that many like Andrew: have a love hate relationship with and "bring them back" to a passionate time in their lives, good or bad.
I was totally dismayed by the lack of interest from the folks down there and realistically: the largest population of Canadian Bricklins is from Quebec City eastward to the coast and all around the area.
I had a lot of good feelings and kudos from the folks down there but nobody wanted to really get it together.
I committed revenue to Andrew last year in London, to get the Grey Ghost home... if he needs it; that still stands with me.
I think it's really great that the club here has sanctioned a joint meet in Dayton with DeLoreans... having said that; I think it's better that this will be their "last meet" so we can concentrate selfishly on Bricklins from here on. If we need a movie car; I know a guy that owns one.

Chopstick

Rick_R Posted - June 10 2014 : 11:11:09
no problem Andrew, it had appeared you had taken the lead, I guess not, I will see what can be worked out in dayton to salvage some of this.
GreenTrash Posted - June 10 2014 : 08:01:14
I have no animosity towards the Bricklin / Delorean event in itself but as a matter of sequential numbers, the 40th was going to be the 40th all the way along. As you all must know, the club is as good as the sum of its members not just what some of the members contribute. As sad as this may sound, employees of Bricklin are getting up in years and I highly doubt many of them will be around for the 50th Anniversary. Some may know that I have a degree of animosity regarding Bricklin International's lack of involvement saving the Gray Ghost and this is justified. Bricklin International was founded to promote the virtues and heritage of the SV-1. I have contributed in my way to making sure the car and what the guys did is not forgotten. I will say that there is one member of B.I. that has stepped up to the plate regarding the Gray Ghost and that is Terry Tanner. I would suggest that the club discuss this matter with Terry in Dayton so that the legwork I have already done isn't wasted. However, at the end of the day this is your club, not mine.
bricklin107 Posted - June 10 2014 : 00:19:16
Andrew
Loved your presentation in Canada. But I think this post is a little off base. I want to note that this Bricklin / Delorean meet has been in the works for 2 years. Back then I had no idea on the 40th Anniversary Canada meet. When I heard about it I was all for people going. I want people to enjoy and support Brickln meets everywhere! I also want to point out that someone needed to come forward and push and organize the New Brunswick meet. No one did. So I don't understand why that it is Bricklin Internationals fault? Any member could have posted and promoted the meet. But no one took charge. Why does Bricklin International have to find someone? We need more support! There are only a handful of members that do the lions share of the work. I would have loved to attend but It is very far and I simply could not get away. There are very few leaders in the club. I think at this upcoming meet folks will hear about leadership opportunities at BI. Volunteer and help the club! Get involved and help the club navigate into the future. So if you have negative feelings as Andrew noted, Volunteer and help the club out and lead us into new frontiers. Don't sit on the sidelines and be negative.
GreenTrash Posted - June 09 2014 : 13:14:22
Hi Rick
Bricklin 40 is up to the people in Saint John to get it together. They were to recruit one or more in the Bricklin community to help organize. There has been no word for almost two months. I have done way more than my share to keep things going but as many of us realized early, without Bricklin International being involved, the Bricklin's 40th Anniversary burden was put on individuals (and to put up all of the cash). Not to be a downer on next week's meet, I thought celebrating the 40th would have been more important than sharing the spotlight with Delorean, apparently I'm not the only one that shares this viewpoint. There is no update regarding the Gray Ghost, hopefully its still a go.
Cheers, Andrew
Rick_R Posted - June 09 2014 : 12:04:22
hello... anybody home? or is this dead?.. did green trash fall off the face of the earth?
ken_parkman Posted - April 13 2014 : 09:46:39
Second the question, any news? Planning on going that way anyhow with the Bricklin (take it back to my dad) and we are looking at dropping into Saint John for this.

Bricklin International Forums © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05