3 Pages
1 2 3 »
Author  Topic Next Topic  

sjzukrow
BI Member

Auctioneer

USA
789 Posts

Posted - July 23 2012 :  19:20:54  Show Profile Send sjzukrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote

As some of you may be aware, there has been an ongoing effort to collect Bricklin documentation and make it available to you in a single resource. This project has been going on for two years. It is essentially an improved, expanded and updated version of the CD ROM collection created by John Martin and Richard Potter a decade ago.

What's improved? Anyone that has the Bricklin Service Manual has noticed the pictures are missing. I have heard two explanations for this: the manual was rushed out before they had a chance to include pictures or AMC would not relinquish the rights. Regardless of the reason, the manual is full of empty boxes over captions. It is still useful but not as useful as it would be if pictures were present.

The manual closely follows some AMC manuals and recently, one of our club members, Mark Stayton, took the time to determine what pictures go where and insert pictures into the Bricklin Service Manual. It was a huge undertaking and I can see why it took 38 years for someone to do this but we finally have an illustrated manual. A few pictures could not be found. A few were recreated. Ultimately, 97% of the pictures were found and inserted. The Electrical and Transmission chapters were expanded with sections from the AMC manuals since portions also pertained to Bricklins. Check out the before and after sample pages below.

Another improvement was made in the Bricklines. John Blair provided digital versions of the magazine going all the way back to when he took over as editor in October, 1997. These documents are the same as those sent to the printer so they are crystal clear and string searchable. Original color pictures are included instead of the black and white ones used in the printed version. A few early issues inadvertently missing from the old CD ROM set were tracked down and added.

Loads of new stuff has been added. During the early days, there were regional Bricklin clubs and many published their own magazines. 141 magazines from 11 different regions from John Martin's and my own personal collections have been scanned. Company brochures, posters, flyers and other literature have been included. Bricklin Vehicle Incorporated produced three issues of a company newsletter as well as a dealer newsletter, numerous press releases, letters, forms, notices and diagrams.

All 18 newsletters from the Organization of Bricklin Owners (OBO) are included as well as a cumulative index and a bunch of Christmas newsletters.

Several handy third party documents that are relevant to Bricklin owners were added including an AMC Service Bulletin, the Bricklin Turner Engine manual, the Rinshed-Mason Paint Codes, a Ford Service Bulletin, and the York Compressor manual.

A few things have been brought up to date since the CD ROM version was created. We're up to 149 Brickline issues through October, 2012 and the article index has been updated (Thanks to Efrain Nadal).

All Bricklin manuals are present including the Bricklin Service Manual, 1975 Bricklin Service Manual Supplement, the 1974/1975 Parts Catalog, Owners manuals for 1974 (both printings), 1975 and 1976, all 14 Technical Service Bulletins, both Dealer Lists, the Price List, the Labor Time Manual, the Radio manual, and two versions of the Parts Cross reference. We even had room for a couple videos. Windows and MacIntosh versions of The Bricklin Story the movie created by Malcolm to lure potential investors into contributing to his company and Turning Points of History - Bricklin the fine documentary that aired on the Canadian history channel.

Custom 4GB flash drives with the club name and Bricklin logo were made for this project. Files are PDF version 5.0 which can be read and printed through the free downloadable Adobe Reader.

Bricklinalia (bricklinalia@bricklin.org) is selling these for $150 with free shipping worldwide. That's quite a bargain when you look at the priceless collection you get. It would take years of searching and a pretty fat wallet to acquire everything. I know firsthand because a significant portion came from my personal collection and my wallet took plenty of hits.

I know there are some old codgers reading this who don't know a flash drive from a flash cube. If you fall into that category but you'd like an old fashioned printed copy of the newly illustrated Bricklin Service Manual, I've got a few of those too. They're $US40 plus shipping ($5.15 within USA, $12.95 to Canada, $16.95 for the rest of the world).

Stuart

corvettelover
Former BI Member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - July 24 2012 :  01:07:50  Show Profile  Send corvettelover an AOL message Send corvettelover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stuart,

That is great news! I will order mine this week. Question I have is the shipping, will the x-ray that the postal service uses in anyway effect the data? I doubt it but it has been a long time since I have shipped recorded material.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

sjzukrow
BI Member

Auctioneer

USA
789 Posts

Posted - July 24 2012 :  04:48:50  Show Profile Send sjzukrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We should be fine. An online search indicates flash memory is not affected by x-rays. Besides, most mail is not x-rayed.

Stuart
Go to Top of Page

grbuzzard
BI Member

Canada
263 Posts

Posted - July 24 2012 :  08:30:26  Show Profile Send grbuzzard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, is all I can say. What a labour (Canadian spelling) of Love. Thank you. I will be ordering mine as soon as I get back to my own home office.
Go to Top of Page

gulwing1
BI Member

USA
240 Posts

Posted - August 23 2012 :  22:29:28  Show Profile Send gulwing1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My wife told me to order one for my upcoming birthday. I got it today. FANTASTIC job. It's going to take awhile to go thru the whole thing. Congrats to all who worked on it. If you can afford it you won't be wasting your money.

Ivan
VIN 1050

Go to Top of Page

corvettelover
Former BI Member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - August 29 2012 :  02:54:25  Show Profile  Send corvettelover an AOL message Send corvettelover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gulwing1

My wife told me to order one for my upcoming birthday. I got it today. FANTASTIC job. It's going to take awhile to go thru the whole thing. Congrats to all who worked on it. If you can afford it you won't be wasting your money.

I agree. I got mine a couple of weeks ago (also birthday gift from my wife.) Stuart and all outdid themselves. The jump drive has not been out of my computer since receiving it.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

sjzukrow
BI Member

Auctioneer

USA
789 Posts

Posted - October 16 2012 :  18:38:01  Show Profile Send sjzukrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yesterday, I emailed an update to all who bought one. Updates were not part of the purchase so this was a bonus. If you bought a flash drive and failed to receive the update, check your spam/junk folder. If it still isn't there, contact me for the update and to get your current email address added to my list in case I'm ever motivated enought to produce another update.

Stuart
Go to Top of Page

corvettelover
Former BI Member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - October 18 2012 :  03:39:17  Show Profile  Send corvettelover an AOL message Send corvettelover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stuart, that was awesome. I never expected the update. I appreciate all the hours that must have gone into the production of the drive.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Former BI Member

Starting Member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - October 18 2012 :  04:13:37  Show Profile Send 0049 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update!

Dan
Go to Top of Page

vin6635
Not Registered with BI or E-Mail mis-match

Average Member

USA
673 Posts

Posted - October 18 2012 :  14:11:51  Show Profile Send vin6635 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to pick one up soon.
Go to Top of Page

Gulwings
Former BI Member

Canada
1139 Posts

Posted - October 24 2012 :  19:58:24  Show Profile Send Gulwings a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I call it a "data pack" because it's full of data... and I've already had an update sent to me...

I bought one of the digital memory sticks from BI a while ago. It has everything on it that one needs to keep their baby in check... and their research in check... and some other stuff that you may not have ever seen before, in the way of literature, brochures/promos etc.

I also have the CD digital version... no comparison... the new one is awesome, full of everything "missing" from the CD and very easily navigated.

I recommend that every serious owner grab one and keep it handy.

I haven't had the time yet to fully explore it all but from what I have looked at I am totally impressed with the effort, the info and the surprises it has...

... for what it's worth from me; a good addition to your Bricklin stash...

Mike P

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
3 Pages
1 2 3 »
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Bookmark this post Bookmark This Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Bricklin International Forums © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05